ПЕКИНЕС форум. PEKINGESE FORUM.: Первый «русский» Пекинес - ПЕКИНЕС форум. PEKINGESE FORUM.

Перейти к содержимому

Страница 1 из 1
  • Вы не можете создать новую тему
  • Вы не можете ответить в тему

Первый «русский» Пекинес

#1 Пользователь офлайн   Philippe 

• Класс Бэби
  • Pip
  • Статус (Status):Любитель собак
  • Количество пекинесов (Quantity of Pekineses):0

Отправлено 23 октября 2022 - 22:09

Hello from France to Russia,

I am an amateur cynologist. Asia is my main field of investigation. I am trying to learn if Count Nikolai Pavlovich Ignatieff (1832-1908) was the owner of Pekingese dogs or not.
It is commonly admitted that only five specimens of this breed were discovered in the Yuan-ming-yuan (Summer palace near Peking) in October 1860. They would have been found near the dead body of a suicided old aunt of the Emperor Xianfeng. That's the story told later by Admiral of the Fleet Lord John Hay. You can read it in every article, book or website dedicated to Pekes even if it is a tale that doesn't resist to facts.

Nikolay Pavlovich Ignatieff played an important diplomatic role at the end of the Second opium war. He was present in Peking since 1859 and had the confidence of the Chinese Imperial court. So he had all the chances to be offered Imperial lap dogs.
Googling "Николай Павлович Игнатьев" and "Пекинес" I found a novel called Keys to Istanbul written by Oleg Gennadievich Ignatiev and published in 2018. The author, maybe a descendant of Nikolai Pavlovich Ignatieff, describes the death of his first son (06/07/1864-01-14-1865) and mentions the presence of a Pekingese dog at this occasion:

— Все кончено, — убито прошептала Екатерина Леонидовна и повалилась на постель. — Я не переживу.
Николай Павлович сам уронил голову в ладони, не зная, как ободрить беременную вторым ребенком жену и где найти силы для собственного утешения.
Страшно было слышать дыхание Павлика, его страдальческие стоны, продолжавшиеся двое суток напролет. А тут еще собачка Юзька, пекинес, которую Игнатьев привез из Китая, скулила все громче, отчаянней...
Через двое суток, в девять часов утра, Павлик затих. Ему как будто стало лучше. Какое-то время он лежал с открытыми глазами, потом ресницы его дрогнули, он улыбнулся, сжал пальчики для крестного знамения — и зловещая тень смерти обескровила его лицо.

This book is clearly based on historical facts and I wonder if Yuzka was a real dog or a fictional one. Of course I hope the first option may be valided. My email is like "a message in a bottle thrown into the sea." Do you know a way to contact O. G. Ignatiev? I sent emails to the Moskva Review and to the Union of Russian Writers but in vain.
Thanks in advance for your precious help.

Сообщение отредактировал Philippe: 23 октября 2022 - 22:12

#2 Пользователь офлайн   Shveik 

• Класс ветеранов
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Статус (Status):Fan
  • Количество пекинесов (Quantity of Pekineses):04

Отправлено 24 октября 2022 - 15:18

Dear friend!
Your question is amazing, I tried to help you, I looked for Yuzka the pekingese in all articles I could found in the net in Russian but nobody mentions the dog except for the book you quoted. Maybe it is a legend about the pekingese but Ignatieff brought an elephant as a gift from Bukhara emir so everything is possible
Игнатьев также привез царю от бухарского эмира множество подарков, включая живого слона, которого передали Московскому зоопарку.https://konkurent.ru/article/8803
In the above mentioned article it is said:
Подписав договор, Игнатьев отправился на родину. Он так спешил домой с радостной вестью, что весь путь проделал за шесть недель. В Петербург он прибыл 1 января 1861 г. — смертельно уставший, весь покрытый инеем. Мать хотела его обнять, но он не позволил, пока не снял завшивленную шинель, которую пришлось немедленно сжечь.

https://primamedia.ru/news/470754/
I wrote to the author of the book and to some editions who published articles about Ignatieff, now waiting for the answer:)))

#3 Пользователь офлайн   Shveik 

• Класс ветеранов
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Отправлено 25 октября 2022 - 13:27

Дорогие форумчане! Ответ на мои вопросы на Литрес и в издательства, где публиковались статьи об Игнатьеве, не приходит. Хотя, может, и рано еще? Может быть кто-то имеет выход на писательские форумы и может добраться до автора Олега Игнатьева, чтобы спросить его, реален ли был пекинес у Игнатьева? Или это художественный вымысел? Если реален, то это нечто вроде открытия получается, в России первый пекинес появился раньше, чем в Англии. В качестве подарка, а не в качестве военного трофея. В такой подарок мне верится с трудом, не до пекинесов тогда было, хотя, кто знает. Но сомнительно, чтобы китайцы подарили императорскую собачку. Легче эмиру Бухары со слоном расстаться)))

#4 Пользователь офлайн   Philippe 

• Класс Бэби
  • Pip

Отправлено 26 октября 2022 - 15:44

Просмотр сообщенияShveik (24 октября 2022 - 15:18) писал:

Dear friend!
Your question is amazing, I tried to help you, I looked for Yuzka the pekingese in all articles I could found in the net in Russian but nobody mentions the dog except for the book you quoted. Maybe it is a legend about the pekingese but Ignatieff brought an elephant as a gift from Bukhara emir so everything is possible
Игнатьев также привез царю от бухарского эмира множество подарков, включая живого слона, которого передали Московскому зоопарку.https://konkurent.ru/article/8803
In the above mentioned article it is said:
Подписав договор, Игнатьев отправился на родину. Он так спешил домой с радостной вестью, что весь путь проделал за шесть недель. В Петербург он прибыл 1 января 1861 г. — смертельно уставший, весь покрытый инеем. Мать хотела его обнять, но он не позволил, пока не снял завшивленную шинель, которую пришлось немедленно сжечь.

https://primamedia.ru/news/470754/
I wrote to the author of the book and to some editions who published articles about Ignatieff, now waiting for the answer:)))

Dear Frriend,
Thank you very much for your help. I really hope you will obtain a reply from Oleg Ignatiev himself or from Russian authors having written books or articles about the highly adventurous and interesting life of Nikolai Pavlovitch Ignatiev.

#5 Пользователь офлайн   Philippe 

• Класс Бэби
  • Pip

Отправлено 26 октября 2022 - 16:25

Просмотр сообщенияShveik (25 октября 2022 - 13:27) писал:

Дорогие форумчане! Ответ на мои вопросы на Литрес и в издательства, где публиковались статьи об Игнатьеве, не приходит. Хотя, может, и рано еще? Может быть кто-то имеет выход на писательские форумы и может добраться до автора Олега Игнатьева, чтобы спросить его, реален ли был пекинес у Игнатьева? Или это художественный вымысел? Если реален, то это нечто вроде открытия получается, в России первый пекинес появился раньше, чем в Англии. В качестве подарка, а не в качестве военного трофея. В такой подарок мне верится с трудом, не до пекинесов тогда было, хотя, кто знает. Но сомнительно, чтобы китайцы подарили императорскую собачку. Легче эмиру Бухары со слоном расстаться)))

Actually Yuzka (if it really existed) was not the first Pekingese dog ever offered to a westerner in this period. You are right most of the Chinese dogs brought back to Europe after the Second opium war had been looted (especially at the Summer Palace: Yuan-ming-yuan, near Peking in October 1861). Nevertheless I know for sure that Meh and Guh, the pair given to the Duke and Duchess of Wellington by their cousin Sir George Henry Fitzroy, were first offered to Lord Elgin in June 1858 after the signature of the Treaty of Tientsin (Now Tianjin). This gift came from the Second Imperial Commissionner, a Chinese high official of Mongolian origins called Hua-sha-na (1806-1859). My source is George Henry Fitzroy's brother-in-law: Mr. Chapman Spencer. He was a sailor on the boat bringing the two dogs to England.
Изображение
Изображение

#6 Пользователь офлайн   Shveik 

• Класс ветеранов
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Отправлено 26 октября 2022 - 16:34

I have not got any anwer yet. Let's wait a little, if no reply comes, we will try to find other sources to clarify the issue)))

Интереснейшая выдающаяся личность был Н.П.Игнатьев, а вдруг ему и правда подарили пекинеса?

https://history.wikireading.ru/149821
https://geno.ru/news/1303/

#7 Пользователь офлайн   Shveik 

• Класс ветеранов
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Отправлено 28 октября 2022 - 16:05

Dear friend!
Here are all the scanned documents about the stay and activity of Ignatieff in China. https://pgpb.ru/digi...on/detail/2420/
Unfortunately now I have no time to read them all as I have plenty of work((( I think it will be rather difficult for you to translate the documents as the spelling is old Russian. If there is no mention of a pekingese brought by Ignatieff to Russia from China, then Yuzka is just a fiction, a detail introduced by the author to make the book more attractive.

#8 Пользователь офлайн   Philippe 

• Класс Бэби
  • Pip

Отправлено 15 ноября 2022 - 00:16

Philippe (my first name) has a Greek origin. It etymologically means "the one who loves horses."
Is there an etymological meaning for "Юзька"? Is it a masculine or feminine name?
Once again, thanks in advance for your help.

#9 Пользователь офлайн   Shveik 

• Класс ветеранов
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Отправлено 15 ноября 2022 - 03:45

Просмотр сообщенияPhilippe (15 ноября 2022 - 00:16) писал:

Philippe (my first name) has a Greek origin. It etymologically means "the one who loves horses."
Is there an etymological meaning for "Юзька"? Is it a masculine or feminine name?
Once again, thanks in advance for your help.

It is difficult to say whether the dog was female or male as in Russian the dog is собака (the word is of female gender as all nouns in Russian are divided in three genders: male, female and neuter like in some other languages). Собака despite the word is of female gender may denominate animals of both genders. The author says: Собака Юзька, привезенная - all the words are of female gender but as I said before, they may denominate also an animal of male gender. Yuzka may be a diminutive of Юзеф=Иосиф (Joseph male) and Юзефа (Josepha female). So, it is still a brain teaser)))

#10 Пользователь офлайн   Philippe 

• Класс Бэби
  • Pip

Отправлено 15 ноября 2022 - 19:29

Просмотр сообщенияShveik (15 ноября 2022 - 03:45) писал:

It is difficult to say whether the dog was female or male as in Russian the dog is собака (the word is of female gender as all nouns in Russian are divided in three genders: male, female and neuter like in some other languages). Собака despite the word is of female gender may denominate animals of both genders. The author says: Собака Юзька, привезенная - all the words are of female gender but as I said before, they may denominate also an animal of male gender. Yuzka may be a diminutive of Юзеф=Иосиф (Joseph male) and Юзефа (Josepha female). So, it is still a brain teaser)))

Thank you very much for your explanations.

#11 Пользователь офлайн   Philippe 

• Класс Бэби
  • Pip

Отправлено 23 декабря 2022 - 00:34

Hello from France once again,

Last time I had forgotten another early mention linking Pekingese dogs and Russia. Here it is:

The foreigners in China have not forgotten, among the humanities, their interest in the canine race. Dogs of every kind have come on board, as if appreciating the sympathies of civilization — the Newfonndland dog, the Australian hound, the Russian bloodhound, and the universal black-and-tan terrier; but, far prettier than all those very familiar friends, are a pair of spaniels, purely bred from Chinese stock, which have come in the staff of the Russian consul-general. They are small, and of a pinkish-brown, without a black hair. There is a tradition that Charles I. received the progenitor of this race, in England, as a present from the Emperor of China. It is that identical dog lying on the hearth-rug that Horace Walhole describes as a "plumy wreath."
SEWARD, Olive Risley - William H. Seward's travels around the world (New York, 1873)

The pair of Pekingese dogs in question are those owned by the Russian Consul-General in China / Minister of Russia in China Alexandr Georgievitch Vlangali (1823-1908). The text is an extract from William Henry Seward's diary. It was written on board the streamship Shan Tung when it was moored in Tien-tsin (now Tianjin) near Peking. It was the 29th of October 1870.
Mr. Vlangli was back rejoining Peking from Saint-Petersburg. Mr. Seward (1801-1872), a retired American politician and diplomat, former Secretary of State of Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson (1861-1869) was touring the world with his newly adopted daughter Olive (1844-1908). She was a writer. She finished the book her adopted father had begun when he died.
Here is the drawing illustrating the quoted paragraph in the book:
Изображение

#12 Пользователь офлайн   Shveik 

• Класс ветеранов
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Отправлено 23 декабря 2022 - 15:16

Dear friend,

It is a pity but we can not see the drawing. Are there pekingeses on it?

Форумчане, у меня фотка не открывается. Кто-то смог открыть?

Перевод поста выше:
Привет из Франции еще раз,

В прошлый раз я забыл еще одно раннее упоминание связи пекинских собак и России. Вот оно:

Помимо вопросов человеческого свойства иностранцы в Китае интересовались и собаками. Они брали с собой на борт судна собак различных пород - ньюфаундленд, австралийская гончая, русская ищейка и обычный черно-подпалый терьер; но, гораздо красивее этих известных друзей человека, была чистокровных китайских спаниелей, которые были у российского генерального консула. Они маленькие, розовато-коричневые, без черных шерстинок. Традиционно считается, что Карл I получил прародителя этой породы, в Англии, в подарок от императора Китая. Это та самая собака, лежащая на коврике, которую Хорас Уолхол описывает как "пушистый венок."
СЕВАРД, Олив Рисли - Путешествие Уильяма Х. Сьюарда по миру (Нью-Йорк, 1873)

Речь идет о паре пекинских собак, принадлежащих генеральному консулу России в Китае / министру России в Китае Александру Георгиевичу Влангали (1823-1908). Это отрывок из дневника Уильяма Генри Сьюарда. Он был написан на борту парохода Шань Тун, когда он был пришвартован в Тянь-Цзине (ныне Тяньцзинь) возле Пекина. Это было 29 октября 1870 года.
Г-н Влангли вернулся в Пекин из Санкт-Петербурга. Г-н Сьюард (1801-1872), американский политик и дипломат в отставке, бывший государственный секретарь президентов Авраама Линкольна и Эндрю Джонсона (1861-1869), путешествовал по миру со своей приемной дочерью Олив (1844-1908). Она была писательницей. После смерти своего приемного отца она закончила книгу, которую он начал писать.
Вот рисунок, иллюстрирующий цитируемый параграф в книге:

Сообщение отредактировал Shveik: 23 декабря 2022 - 15:19

#13 Пользователь офлайн   Philippe 

• Класс Бэби
  • Pip

Отправлено 23 декабря 2022 - 19:00

I am sorry you can't have a look at the drawing published in William H. Seward's travels around the world. It effectively shows 3 "Pekingese" dogs. The original French drawing realized from a Chinese engraving belonging to Mrs. De Bourboulon was first published in 1864. Short-haired Chinese pugs were also present.
By the way, do you see the photo of Meh and Guh (the initial pair of the Goodwood Estate) I added to my message of the 26th of October at 11.25 AM?
I can see both perfectly, maybe some local restrictions... What tool do you use to post pictures from your computer?

Сообщение отредактировал Philippe: 23 декабря 2022 - 19:01

#14 Пользователь офлайн   Shveik 

• Класс ветеранов
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Отправлено 23 декабря 2022 - 19:48

When first published I saw the pictures, now they have disappered.
I use this one https://imgbb.com/
I don't think it is due to restrictions. Our site is rather old, so it may not be compatible with up-to-date soft

Сообщение отредактировал Shveik: 23 декабря 2022 - 19:50

#15 Пользователь офлайн   WINNY 

• Класс чемпионов
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Статус (Status):любитель
  • Количество пекинесов (Quantity of Pekineses):01

Отправлено 23 декабря 2022 - 23:17

Друзья, нашла книгу в интернете, пробую вставить рисунок.
Dear friends,I've just found the book on Internet, trying to put in the picture.

#16 Пользователь офлайн   WINNY 

• Класс чемпионов
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Статус (Status):любитель
  • Количество пекинесов (Quantity of Pekineses):01

Отправлено 23 декабря 2022 - 23:18

Прикрепленное изображение: williamhsewardst00sewa_0161.jpg
Еще одна попытка... One more attempt...

#17 Пользователь офлайн   Philippe 

• Класс Бэби
  • Pip

Отправлено 24 декабря 2022 - 01:07

Here is the original (complete) French drawing I mentioned. I really hope you can see it:
Изображение

Сообщение отредактировал Philippe: 24 декабря 2022 - 01:10

#18 Пользователь офлайн   Philippe 

• Класс Бэби
  • Pip

Отправлено 24 декабря 2022 - 01:41

Here are Meh and Guh again. They are the pair offered to the Duke and Duchess of Richmond and Gordon by their cousin Sir George Henry Fitzroy. According to the too famous tale told by the British Admiral of the Fleet Lord John Hay these dogs are said to have been found during the looting of the Summer Palace near Péking in October 1860. Actually that's not true.
They were first offered to Lord Elgin in June 1858. Then Lord Elgin confided them to Sir George Fitzroy who finally gave them to the Duke and Duchess of Richmond and Gordon at Goodwood Estate.

Изображение

Сообщение отредактировал Philippe: 24 декабря 2022 - 01:43

Поделиться темой:

Страница 1 из 1
  • Вы не можете создать новую тему
  • Вы не можете ответить в тему

1 человек читают эту тему
0 пользователей, 1 гостей, 0 скрытых пользователей